Ever wanted to have a sauna installed in your own home? Then you’ve probably looked into it online and found that there are all kinds of different saunas that you can have. Infrared are the newest and possibly the most effective sauna that’s on the market. What is an infrared sauna, and why should you try it out for yourself? Are the benefits worth it? Read on to find out.
The different types of sauna
There are lots of different saunas you can try if you want one installed in your own home. Here are the current styles that are on the market now:
– Smoke sauna: These are the oldest style of sauna around, and are still used in modern day Finland. These work by heating hot rocks in a sauna without a chimney. A fire is lit under the rocks to heat them up and is then extinguished. The heat from the rocks is then used to heat the sauna. These saunas are now usually only used on special holidays.
– Heat storage sauna: These work in a very similar way to the smoke sauna, but the stone compartment is sealed. That means that smoke is kept out of the sauna itself, meaning it’s much more pleasant to sit in.
– Wood burning sauna: These are the closest you can get to the traditional Finnish sauna without any of the old drawbacks. The stones are heated by a continuously burning wood fire, which can put many people off as it needs continuous work to keep it lit.
– Electrically heated sauna: These saunas are now the most common types available on the market. The electronic heating method means they can be heated evenly, and the safest around.
What is an infrared sauna?
So what’s the difference between these types of saunas and an infrared sauna? It all lies in how the heat works. An infrared sauna works by reflecting heat directly onto a person’s body, rather than heating the air in the room. This means that they can often be used as ‘heat therapy rooms’, rather than traditional saunas.
How does an infrared sauna work?
An infrared sauna has heaters that are directed at your body, and so most of the heat they put out is absorbed by you. This is highly effective as compared to traditional saunas, that need to heat the air first, and then heat you indirectly. This is inefficient and doesn’t give you the full benefit of the heat.
Infrared saunas are tuned closely to the radiant heat of your body. That means that you can absorb up to 93% of the heat they put out. Because of this, they operate at a slightly lower heat than traditional saunas. They generally work 100 – 125F, when traditional saunas work at 180F – 220F. Because the temperature is lower, you can actually stay in longer and get more benefits from the sauna.
The benefits of an infrared sauna
So, what are the benefits of an infrared sauna? Here are just a few of the things that make them so attractive:
– Sweat out toxins: Everyone is exposed to all kinds of toxic chemical and elements in their everyday lives. A sauna is actually one of the most effective ways to remove them from your body. They work by helping you sweat the toxins right out through your skin. As your skin is the largest organ on your body, it’s actually one of the most efficient ways to detox.
– Reduce stress and relax: Today, you’re busier than ever before and it’s so hard to switch off. When you use an infrared sauna though, you can literally shut the door on the rest of the world. You can’t even take electronics in with you, so you can’t be bothered during your down time. If you struggle to switch off from everyday life, this is the way to do it.
– Pain relief: Do you suffer from muscle or joint pain? Then a sauna could be just the thing to help you feel better. Saunas raise your heart rate and so boost your circulation. That improved circulation can help you feel less pain in your joints, especially if you suffer from arthritis. If you’re an athlete or especially active, it’s great for soothing your muscles after a workout.
– Weight loss: If you’re looking to lose weight, a sauna could be a great complement to your diet regime. This is because when you’re in the sauna, again your heart rate rises, so your body is working harder while you’re in there. According to this study, you can actually burn calories while you’re in there.
– Purer skin: As you sweat, you’re eliminating toxins from your skin, as discussed above. A great byproduct of this is that your skin becomes much softer and clearer. If you have issues with your skin, then this is the best way to improve it.
Have a sauna installed at home
Do all the benefits of an infrared sauna sound good to you? Then maybe having a sauna installed at home could be the best way to use one. They’re a staple in Finnish homes, and you can get the benefit too. They’re not as costly as you’d think to build and maintain, so why not treat yourself to a healthier lifestyle?
The great thing about having a sauna at home is that you can use it whenever you want, no need to travel to the local gym or spa to use it. As well as this, it’s a truly private experience. Just shut the door, and you’ll be alone for as long as you use it.
Infrared saunas are the latest technology in saunas, and many users are already feeling the benefits. It’s direct heat means you get all of the benefits of the heat, rather than losing it as you would in other saunas. They really are the next best thing in staying healthy and relaxed. When you put it like that, why wouldn’t you try it?